Adapted from Marcella Hazan
8 medium sweet peppers
10 large or 20 medium flat anchovies
3 TBL capers
4 cloves garlic lightly crushed and peeled
- Place peppers under hot broiler. When skin swells and is partially charred turn. Repeat on all sides and peel while hot.
- Cut peppers into stripes 1 ½ to 2 inches wide and remove seeds and pulpy inner core. Pat stripes dry with paper towel or cloth.
- Choose a dish that will take 4 layers of peppers.
- Arrange a layer of peppers top with 4-5 anchovies, tiny pinch of salt, generous grind of pepper, small pinch oregano, a few capers and one crushed clove of garlic.
- Repeat until you have used all the peppers and anchovies. Add enough olive oil to cover the top layer.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours and bring to room temperature before serving. If you prepare several days ahead of time remove the garlic after 24 hours.