Adapted from cook.com
This soup can be frozen, but don’t leave it too long the potatoes will get mushy.
1-2 lbs fresh/frozen Kale
1 large yellow Onion diced
3 Potatoes, peeled large dice
2 Chourico or Linguica, sliced
8 cups chicken or pork broth
1/4 cup Olive Oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 can Cannellini beans
1 bay leaf
Carrots (optional) sliced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 hot pepper, seeded finely diced
1/3 teaspoon paprika
Season with salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice chourico or linguica
2. Saute in 1/4 cup of olive oil, with onion, and chopped garlic. Do not allow garlic to brown, so add last. Sausage does
not need to cook.
3. Add liquid and seasonings simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Prepare the kale by rinsing thoroughly and tearing the leafy portions from the stems. Tear into bite-size pieces. Discard stems.
5. Add potatoes, kale, and carrots if using, simmer additional 30 minutes.
6. Add beans if desired. Heat through and check seasonings
Serve with Portuguese pops (rolls) or Crown Pilot chowder crackers.