adapted from Salt Meadow Farm CSA
3 c. unbleached flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c. unsalted butter (chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
1/2 c. plus 2 T of buttermilk
1 T fresh sage (I was very generous with all the herbs)
1 T fresh thyme
1 T fresh oregano
1 small onion , finely chopped (I used red onion)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Mix in one of the herbs and onion listed above
3. Add butter and cream cheese and mix just to combine. Dough will be lumpy.
4. Add egg and buttermilk and mix 2-3 minutes until dough forms a ball. Add 1 of the herbs listed and stir just to combine.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Using a floured rolling pin, gently roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Do not handle or roll dough any more than necessary to prevent toughness.
5. Cut scones into 2-inch squares. Place on prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue baking for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
HINT: for an extra tender scone…don’t roll out just drop directly onto the baking sheet.
These are great with sour cream as well!!