Adapted from Machella Hazan
Here’s another sauce option for preserving the summer bounty of tomatoes. To preserve this sauce cook the tomatoes with carrots celery and onion and freeze. When ready to use, defrost, purees, heat, and adjust seasonings.
2 lbs. plum Tomatoes
2/3 cup chopped Carrot
2/3 cup chopped Celery
2/3 cup chopped Onion
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Wash tomatoes and cut in half
2. Cook in covered pot over medium heat for 10 minutes
3. Add carrot, celery, onion, 2 tsp salt and sugar. Cook at steady simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
4. Puree through foodmill or blender if you don’t have a food mill. Return to pot add olive oil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
5. Taste and correct for salt