Adapted from Marcella Hazan.
This recipe is a great way to preserve some of your summer tomatoes. To make ahead and store, complete steps 1-4 then freeze. To use, defrost cooked tomatoes and complete steps 5-7.
2 lbs. plum Tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup chopped yellow Onion
1/3 cup chopped Carrot
1/3 cup chopped Celery
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1. Wash tomatoes and cut in half
2. Cook in covered stockpot at steady simmer for 10 minutes
3. Uncover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 more hours
4. Puree through a food mill
5. In clean stockpot heat olive oil and add onion. Saute until just translucent.
6. Add carrot and celery and saute for 1 minute.
7. Add pureed tomato, salt and sugar and cook at gentle simmer for 20 minutes, stir occasionally.