Adapted from Cooking Light
(Makes 3 servings)
- 5 medium beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Clip the tops off your beets and scrub them well to remove any dirt on the skins. Place the beets on a large piece of foil and pour the oil over them.
- Fold the foil into a pocket or tent, completely closing up the foil around the beets.
- Once you have it closed, place the entire package on a cookie sheet or in a baking dish.
- Bake at 350 F. until soft and easily pierced with a fork. (Time will depend on size of beets) Allow them to cool enough that you can handle them without burning yourself.
- Peel the skins off. Chop into small pieces.
- Spread those pieces in a baking dish and pour the citrus juices over them.
- Make sure that the beats are in a single layer so all pieces are laying in the juice to marinate. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight (or at least for 2 hours minimum).