adapted from Istanbul by Rebecca Seal
These pickles keep for months in the fridge. Makes 1 34 fl oz jar
1 lb 5 oz mixture of any of the following shallots, baby onions, garlic cloves baby carrots or sliced whole carrots, sliced fennel, radishes, cauliflower, hot/mild green chili peppers
17 oz (2 1/4 cups) water
2 oz (1/4 cup) apple cider vinegar
1 Tb salt
1 Tb sugar
1 tsp coriander seeds
1. Wash and sterilize a large 1 liter jar with lid. (wash in dishwasher, or bake in 275 degree oven for 30 minutes
2. Wash and prepare vegetables; peel onions and garlic, scrub and slice carrots.
3. Bring a small amount of water to a boil and blanch peppers if using (reserve water)
4. pack all vegetables in jar pressing down tightly.
5. Add remaining water to chili water and boil. Add sugar and salt and stir to dissolve
6. Ad coriander seeds and pour into jar covering vegetables. If you need more mix vinegar/water in ratio 1/10
7. Cover, leave to cool then store in fridge. Leave 2-3 weeks to mature.