submitted by Lisa Shaftel
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 medium kohlrabi, peeled, shredded
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Optional: 1 cup thinly shredded cabbage
1. Mince the onion with the chopper blade. Add the cane sugar, vinegar, olive oil and salt and process. Pour into a big bowl
2. Change to a julienne or coarse grating disk. Grate the carrots and kohlrabi. Transfer to the big bowl with the vinaigrette. Add shredded cabbage if using. Add celery seeds and black pepper and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
In a large bowl, whisk together the cane sugar, vinegar, olive oil, minced onion and salt and process. Shred, grate or julienne the kohlrabi and carrots. Add to the bowl of vinaigrette and toss. Add celery seeds and black pepper and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.