submitted by Lisa Shaftel
- 12 hot peppers, seeded and halved
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored and finely grated
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat broiler
- Broil the fleshy peppers: on a baking sheet, lay the peppers cut side down and broil until the skin turns black. (Watch them in the broiler). Remove from the oven and cover with a kitchen towel, allow to cool. Then peel the skin from the peppers. Don’t broil thin peppers like cayenne. Mince peppers.
- To peel the tomatoes, cut a small X at the base of the tomato. Place in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 2 minutes, then drain and cool. Peel the tomatoes and chop finely.
- In a medium saucepan combine all of the ingredients. Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Store covered in the refrigerator, or process for 10 minutes in jars.
If you want to make a torte using the jam follow directions below
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup hot pepper jelly, divided in half
- 1 1/3 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1 egg
- Combine the cream cheese, 1/2 cup of pepper jelly, the cheddar cheese and egg and blend it well. Butter a 6″ spring-form pan and pour in the batter.
- Bake at 350° for 20 – 30 minutes until the top is puffed and brown. Let sit for 20 minutes and remove the sides of the spring-form pan. Put on a serving plate and top with the remaining pepper jelly. Serve with crackers.