adapted form Bon Appetit January 2015
Steaming is back! The vinegar-and-spice-infused liquid flavors the beets as they cook.
- 2 tablespoons chopped raw pistachios
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound beets, scrubbed, peeled, cut into ½” pieces
- 4 oz. fresh goat cheese, crumbled, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- Olive oil (for serving)
- Toast pistachios in a dry small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until golden brown, about 5 minutes; let cool.
- Combine ¼ cup vinegar, ½ tsp. paprika, and a pinch of kosher salt in a large saucepan and add water so mixture comes 1” up sides of pan. Fit with a steamer basket and bring liquid to a simmer over medium. Add beets, cover pan, and steam until tender, 30–40 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- While beets are still warm, add 2 oz. goat cheese, remaining 1 Tbsp. vinegar, and remaining ¼ tsp. paprika; season with kosher salt and pepper. Coarsely smash beets with a fork or potato masher, leaving some bigger pieces.
- Serve topped with pistachios, sea salt, and remaining goat cheese and drizzled with oil.