Adapted from thekitchen.com
3 to 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce (gluten-free, if needed)
2 tablespoons soy sauce (or 1 tablespoon tamari, if gluten-free)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch, optional
1 pound ground chicken, white meat or dark meat (or ground turkey)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped small
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece ginger, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1/2 cup sliced green onions (from about 6 green onions), divided
2 small heads Bibb or butter lettuce
Red pepper flakes, to serve
Hot sauce, to serve
Optional extras: chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, chopped or grated carrots
- Mix together the sauce: Combine 3 tablespoons of the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk to combine with a fork and keep near the stove. If you’d like a more thickened, glossy sauce, whisk in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Cook the ground chicken: Heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the ground chicken and cook until cooked through and no longer pink, 7 to 8 minutes. Break up the chicken into small crumbles as you cook. Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean bowl.
- Cook the vegetables and aromatics: Warm the other teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the optional extra vegetables you want, and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, and ginger, and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Combine the vegetables and chicken: Transfer the cooked chicken back to the pan with the vegetables, along with half of the green onions.
- Stir in the sauce: Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Serve with the lettuce: along with small dishes with hot sauce, red pepper flakes, and the remaining sliced green onions. Place a generous spoonful of chicken mixture in the middle of a lettuce leaf, top with green onions and hot sauce or red pepper flakes, and eat right away.