Make this quick dinner with multiple colors of tomatoes and a red onion. Serves 3-4 depending how hungry people are.
Adapted from Tacopedia by Déborah Holz and Juan Carlos Mena
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 chile peppers (depending on size and heat), or to taste, seeded and sliced thin
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 lb shrimp
- 6-8 sprigs cilantro, leaves chopped, or to taste
- 12 small (4.5 inch) corn tortillas
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chiles, then add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are opaque and pink. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Salt to taste.
Warm the tortillas by wrapping them in a damp towel and microwaving for 30-40 seconds. Spoon the shrimp and sauce into a tortilla, wrap and eat. Have napkins ready—the tomato sauce will escape from the tacos.
Serve with refried beans.