Adapted from Vegetarian Times July/Aug 2015
- 5 Japanese eggplants peeled quartered lengthwise and cut into 1″ dice
- 1 Tbl. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 cup Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup basil or cilantro
- 2 Tbl. sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 1/4 smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 pita pockets halved
- 4 oz Asiago or Manchego cheese shaved
- spread eggplant on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt let stand 5 minutes. Rinse drain and pat dry. Wipe off baking dish
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to baking sheet and cool. Stir together eggplant,tomatoes,parsley, basil, vinegar, shallot, paprika and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill each pocket and top with shaved cheese.