Adapted from Molly Katzen The Heart of the Plate
- 2 Tbl. Olive Oil
- 21/2 to 3 cups minced onions
- 1 Tsp. minced garlic
- 3/4 Tsp. salt
- 2 large globe eggplants
- 1 Tsp fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Heat large skillet over med heat and add oil. Add onions and cook until softened about 10 minutes. Add garlic and 1/2 tsp salt and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking and stirring until very soft about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile Prick eggplant with fork and place on baking sheet in oven. Cook until completely collapsed and soft. The skin should have pulled away from the flesh, 30-45 minutes. Remove eggplant and let cool.
- Transfer the cook eggplant flesh to food processor. Scrape in onions and add lemon juice plus 1/4 tsp salt. Puree until smooth season with black pepper.
- Serve warm or hot.
- Optional garnish. radishes, grated fresh carrot salad, or fresh parsley leaves.