adapted from Eat Clean Live Well
- 1 cup tricolor quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for cooking quinoa
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
- Place quinoa pot or rice cooker with water and pinch of salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat and cool before fluffing.
- Place cabbage in large bowl and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Firmly massage cabbage until it breaks down and softens (will reduce to about half original volume). Add carrot, radishes and scallions and toss. Fold in quinoa and set aside.
- In small skillet over medium heat, dry-roast mustard seeds until lightly browned and just starting to pop. Remove from heat and whisk in olive oil, ume plum vinegar, coconut sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season to taste with freshly ground pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Fold in tomatoes, sunflower seeds and parsley and serve.