adapted from Beirut to Boston
- 3 TBL extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBL lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large whole eggplant
- 1 large red tomato
- Chopped parsley
- Mix oil, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper and salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to high.
- Poke 10 small holes in eggplant with tip of knife.
- Place eggplant and tomato (stem side down) on grill. Cook for 5 minutes and turn tomato upright. Continue to cook for 10 more minutes remove tomato.
- Rotate eggplant and cook for 24 minutes or more if needed until soft and cooked on all sides. Eggplant will loss its shapes and look deflated.
- Plate and slit eggplant down center. Mash tomato on top of eggplant. With spoon pull meat from eggplant skin. Pour sauce over top and garnish with salt and parsley.