Egg whites lighten up this frittata with sliced red potatoes, fresh baby spinach, and sautéed leeks.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large – slice them first, then add to a bowl of water and gently swish around a bit. Let them stay in the water a minute for the dirt to sink to the bottom, then fish them out with your hands or a slotted spoon.)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach (or a 10-oz package)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups cooked red potato (about 3/4 pound)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese – optional
Preheat oven to 350°.
Melt butter in a skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; sauté 4 minutes. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Place mixture in a colander, pressing until barely moist.
Combine milk, basil, salt, pepper, eggs, and egg whites; stir well with a whisk. Add leek mixture and potato. Pour into a 10-inch round baking dish or pie plate coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and top with cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until center is set.
Broil frittata 4 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 6 wedges.