White beans sautéed with spinach, garlic and roasted fennel with Parmesan, or nutritional yeast for a vegan option. This can be served as a light vegetarian entree or as a great side dish for chicken or fish.
Chicken or vegetable broth as needed
4 cups fresh spinach or other green, stemmed and chopped
2 (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
2 garlic cloves or garlic scapes, minced
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 Tblsp olive oil
4 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
1. Preheat the oven to 450°.
2. Combine fennel, 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the red pepper, and the garlic in a large bowl. Toss to coat the fennel.
3. Arrange the fennel mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until the fennel begins to brown.
4. Stir and sprinkle cheese or yeast evenly over fennel mixture. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
6. Add the beans and cook 2 minutes or until heated.
7. Add the fennel mixture, spinach, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.Add a few splashes of broth as needed if mixture is dry. Cook 2 minutes and serve.