This is a lovely soup to enjoy chilled, though it’s good warmed too!
Makes 6 servings
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped (1/2 c)
2 garlic cloves , minced
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped (or 1 tsp grated)
2 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. curry powder (or more to taste)
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 lemon, zested
1 lime, zested
salt & pepper
1/4 cup coconut, toasted (optional)
chopped cilantro (optional)
- In a large, heavy saucepan or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, garlic, and ginger, and sauté until tender, about 10 min.
- Add the carrots, coconut milk, and curry powder, then add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes, or until carrots are very tender. Skim any foam and fat from the top.
- Add the lime and lemon zest. Puree the soup in batches in food processor or blender (you can use an immersion blender if you have one).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with toasted coconut and cilantro. Enjoy warm or chilled!