Fresh zucchini shredded with feta cheese and oregano in a savory little cake. Delicious on their own or with Greek yogurt for dipping.
3 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium-sized zucchini)
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups whole-wheat flour
4 cups crumbled feta cheese
4 scallions, both greens and whites, chopped
1 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- Put the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with the salt.
- Set the colander in a bowl, and using your hands, press down on the zucchini so that as much liquid as possible drains out into the bowl.
- Stir the zucchini and repeat. Throw away the liquid.
- Put the zucchini in the bowl and add the eggs, flour, cheese, and scallions. Mix well.
- Put a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When the skillet is hot (flick some water on—it should dance and evaporate immediately), add the oil.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop blobs of the zucchini mixture from the bowl and spread it into a round, flat nest on the skillet: it should make a circle that’s about 2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. Repeat to fill the skillet.
- Cook the pancakes until the bottoms are deeply golden, about 5 minutes, then turn them over and cook 5 more minutes. Repeat with the remaining mixture.