Egg whites lighten up this frittata with sliced potatoes, fresh greens, and sautéed leeks or onions.
1 tsp. butter
2 cups thinly sliced leek or onion
1 bunch fresh greens, stemmed and sliced (kale, chard and spinach all work here)
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbl. finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 large eggs
4 large egg whites
2-3 medium potatoes
1 1/2 Tbl dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Provolone cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place potatoes (peeled if desired) in a saucepan of cold water to cover; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until just tender when pierced with a fork. Drain, let cool, then slice.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek or onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Add the greens; sauté 2 minutes or until the greens wilt. Place the mixture in a colander, pressing until barely moist.
- Combine milk, basil, salt, pepper, eggs, and egg whites. Stir well with a whisk. Add the onion mixture and potato. Pour into a 10-inch round ceramic baking dish or pie plate coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and top with cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the center is set.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil the frittata 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into 6 wedges.