You can use any greens you like to make this soup.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound Italian sausage – casings removed
- 3/4 pound white potatoes – sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves – thinly sliced
- 1 lb braising greens (a mix of several kinds of greens, such as kale, collard greens, chard, & spinach, or our mixed braising greens), stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Salt & Freshly ground pepper
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed, or 2-3 medium sauce tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 basil sprigs – plus chopped basil, for garnish
In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderately high heat, breaking up the clumps, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot along with the potatoes, onion and garlic. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach, kale, or whatever greens you’re using. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the tomatoes and their juices, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Add the broth and the basil sprigs and bring to a boil. Partially cover and simmer until the greens and potatoes are tender and the soup is thickened, about 25 minutes.
Discard the basil sprigs. Stir in the sausage and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with chopped basil and serve.