I saw this recently in Cooking Light magazine, and it positively sang to me—beautiful golden beets, vibrant carrots and the crunch of pistachios. Yum. I like to dollop plain Greek yogurt on mine too, or crumble goat cheese on top. Swap out the pistachios for any nut you have on hand, or leave them off.
- 2 pounds golden beets – trimmed (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup thinly vertically sliced onion (red or yellow)
- 2 carrots – thinly diagonally sliced
- 4 Tblsp chopped roasted unsalted pistachios, divided in half
- 2 Tblsp very coarsely chopped fresh dill, divided into 1 1/2 Tblsp and 1 1/2 tsp portions
- 3 Tblsp fresh orange juice
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 1 Tblsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Wrap beets in foil; bake at 400°F for 1 hour or until tender. Cool beets slightly; peel (you can use a paper towel to rub off the skins with your hands) and cut into wedges.
Combine beets, onion, carrots, 2 Tblsp pistachios, and 1 1/2 Tblsp dill in a medium bowl. Combine orange juice, oil, vinegar, pepper, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add juice mixture to beet mixture; toss gently to coat. Arrange beet mixture on a platter. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tblsp pistachios and remaining 1 1/2 tsp dill.