Fresh bell peppers stuffed with taco-seasoned ground beef or turkey, corn, Monterey Jack cheese and taco toppings.
- 2-4 medium bell peppers, any color.
- 1/2 pound ground beef or lean ground turkey
- 2 Tblsp chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans or black beans, rinsed and drained (optional. You can also increase the meat to 1 pound)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 Tblsp taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato, salsa, chopped avocado, or other toppings you choose.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- If the peppers are large, cut them in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. If they’re small, leave them whole, cut the top and stem off, and remove the seeds. Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and set aside. (You can also microwave the peppers (cut side down if they’re halved) in a few tablespoons of water, covered, for 5-7 minutes or until just tender).
- In a large skillet, cook the beef or turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Place pepper halves or whole peppers in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Fill the peppers with the meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until peppers are tender. Top with sour cream, cheese and tomato, salsa, avocado, etc.