This is lovely with a simple grilled fish or chicken: tender beets with a lemon-shallot vinaigrette, greens and feta. Adapted from Cooking Light via My Recipes.
- 3 medium golden or red beets – trimmed (stems removed)
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups arugula, kale, spinach or lettuce
- 1 ripe peeled avocado – sliced
- 1 ounce feta cheese – crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- Wrap the beets individually in microwave-safe parchment paper. Microwave on HIGH 7 minutes or until tender, turning once after 3 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into 1/2-inch thick wedges.
- Combine lemon zest, juice, salt, pepper, and shallot in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 10 minutes. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Place greens in a large bowl. Add 2 Tbl of the juice mixture to the greens; and toss to coat.
- Add beets to the remaining juice mixture; toss to coat.
- Place greens mixture on a platter; top with beet mixture, avocado, and feta.