From Food & Nutrition, a quarterly journal on healthy eating. These are thinly sliced eggplant wrapped around a rice filling and baked with tomato sauce and feta. A delicious light vegetarian entree; you can also add some cooked ground beef or turkey for meat eaters.
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium eggplants
- ¼ tsp salt, divided
- 1 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh mint, minced
- ½ cup fresh dill, minced
- 2 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 14-ounce cans low-sodium diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to broil. Mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut off stems of eggplants, steady the sliced end on a cutting board and cut each eggplant lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices. Place half the eggplant slices in a single layer on the baking sheet, sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt and broil 5 minutes per side until lightly browned and tender. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining eggplant and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add rice, stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Let sit, covered, for 5 minutes, then remove lid and fluff with a fork. Stir in mint and dill and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the sauce. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. On a clean working surface, lay an eggplant slice flat and place ⅓ cup rice mixture onto one end. Carefully roll up and place in a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Repeat with remaining eggplant, placing the rolls tightly next to each other.
- Pour tomato sauce over top of the rolls and sprinkle with feta. Place in the oven and bake 30 minutes until cheese is golden. Serve hot or at room temperature.