Use any array of colorful veggies. This makes a great side dish for a party buffet, or a picnic salad. You can prepare the vegetables up to step up to 2 days ahead.
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar, mirin, or any sweet white wine
- 2 Tbl water
- 2 Tbl granulated sugar
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 2 medium carrots or daikon radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup (3 ounces) snow peas, stem ends removed, halved crosswise
- 1 medium green onion, sliced lengthwise, then in 1-inch strips
- 1 Tbl minced peeled ginger root
- 1/8 tsp crushed chili pepper flakes
- 3 cups shredded leaf lettuce
- 1 Tbl toasted sesame seeds
- Combine the vinegar and water in a small microwave-safe bowl; blend in the sugar and heat for 30 to 60 seconds on medium heat, mixing until the sugar dissolves. Blend in the soy sauce. Set aside.
- Put the cucumber, carrots, snow peas, green onion, ginger root, and chili pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
- Pour the vinegar-soy sauce mixture over the top; toss gently until the vegetables are well coated. Cover the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce, drizzling remaining the marinade over the salad. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.