From the California Café, this luscious, decadent, delicious soup makes a great addition to your holiday table as an appetizer or on a buffet.
Maks 8 1 cup servings.
- 2 lbs butternut squash (1-2 squash)
- 1/4 c butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, whole
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 pinch each ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbs pumpkin puree
- sour cream, chopped chives and toasted pumpkin seed for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the over to 300° F. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the halves face down in a pan or on a baking sheet, place in the oven, and roast for 1 hour.
- Heat the butter in large pan. Sauté onions, carrot, celery and garlic until translucent (approx. 5 min).
- When the squash is done roasting, rit emove from oven, scoop out the flesh from the peel, and discard peel. Add the squash along with the stock to a large soup pot.
- Bring squash and stock to a boil, then simmer 30 minutes. Add brown sugar, spices, and maple syrup. Stir and remove from heat. Stir in heavy cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend the mixture with a hand blender, food processor, or blender until smooth. You can add the pumpkin purée before blending or swirl it in at the end.
- If desired, top each serving with a spoonful of sour cream, chopped chives, and toasted pumpkin seeds.