Lentils, potatoes, onions and bell peppers sautéed with garam masala and cumin, finished with fresh cilantro and (optional) slivered almonds. A nice vegetarian main dish that can also be served as a side alongside other Indian-inspired entrees as a side.
- 3/4 cup toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 yellow or red peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala seasoning (available from Indian grocery stores, online, and in some supermarkets)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound brown lentils – rinsed and picked over
- In a large saucepan, combine 4 cups water, lentils, potatoes, onions, diced tomatoes, salt, garam masala, cumin and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add bell peppers and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, sprinkle almonds over the top, and serve.