When Assistant Farm Manager Kerry Beyrer cooks, she wings it. Quantities aren’t important in this recipe, which is one of her favorites.
Basil, parsley, or whatever herbs are ready for harvest
Salt and pepper
- Place beets, carrots, onions, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil, eggs, and rolled oats and mix everything well.
- Add basil or parsley, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Set aside for about 30 minutes, so the oats can soak up the liquid and the mixture sets (this step is important for the patties to hold together).
- Try shaping a patty with your hands. If the mixture is to loose, add some more oats.
- Form additional patties with your hands.
- Fry burgers in a pan or bake in a 350° F oven until golden on both sides.