A delicious way to enjoy summer tomatoes and zucchini in one dish. This tian can be served as a vegetarian entree or pairs nicely with grilled poultry or fish.
Inspired by Kate McMillan, One Pot of the Day
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ pound tomatoes, sliced
- 2 zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 1 T basil, minced
- ¼ c chicken broth or water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and oil a 2-quart baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Sauté the onion until softened, about 7-8 minutes. Transfer onion to the baking dish and spread evenly over the bottom. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange a layer of sliced tomato over the onion, followed by a layer of sliced zucchini. Continue alternating layers of tomato and zucchini until all is used. Sprinkle basil over the top and season again with salt and pepper. Pour broth or water evenly over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake until the vegetables are bubbling, roughly 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.