Enjoy this fresh salad for lunch or dinner.
Inspired by bon appétit
Makes 4 servings
- 6 lbs beets, scrubbed clean and skin peeled
- 4 T olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ¼ c red wine vinegar
- 8 shishito peppers
- 1/3 c pecans
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- Hot chili sesame oil and/or grated Pecorino cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut the beets into 1-inch pieces. Toss the beets with 2 T of olive oil in a 13×9″ baking dish and season with salt. Add the thyme and ¼ cup of water to the baking dish. Cover with foil and roast beets until a paring knife slips easily through flesh, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly and then toss in a large bowl with the vinegar and the remaining 2 T of olive oil; season with salt.
- Meanwhile, place the peppers on one side of a rimmed baking sheet. Add the pecans on the other side and roast, tossing the nuts once, until the peppers start to blister and the pecans are slightly darkened and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Toss the peppers, pecans and onion with beets; season with salt. Drizzle with the chili oil and top with Pecorino cheese.