A different way to use carrots in an Indian-fusion baked good. These bars can be frozen for up to a month.
Inspired by Food 52
Makes 25 bars
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 c shredded carrots
- ½ c whole milk
- 5 T sugar
- ½ c raisins
- 14-ounce can condensed milk
- 8 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/8tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ c slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Combine the shredded carrots, whole milk, sugar, and raisins in an oven proof bowl. Pour the condensed milk over the top.
- Mix well and microwave for 5 to 8 minutes, until the carrots are soft and have lost their raw taste.
- Add the melted butter, cardamom, and nutmeg. Combine well.
- Pour the carrot mixture into the center of the mixing bowl containing the flour. Fold it in gently from the sides towards the center until well combined.
- Spread evenly onto a sheet tray and sprinkle with slivered almonds. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown.
- Allow to cool, cut into squares, and serve.