The perfect topping for a grilled Bratwurst or a classic Reuben sandwich.
Inspired by Martha Stewart
Makes 6 cups
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 T coarse salt
- ½ c distilled white vinegar
- Discard any torn or damaged outer leaves of the cabbage, and cut the core out.
- Rinse your cabbage by letting water flow through the hole where the core was and wash the leaves.
- Shred the cabbage by slicing thinly, and place it in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cabbage, vinegar, salt, and 1 1/4 cups water. Cover, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 30 to 35 minutes (if bottom of pan starts to brown, add 1/4 cup more water). To store, refrigerate up to 2 weeks.