A twist on classic ratatouille.
Inspired by Deb Perelman’s Smitten Kitchen cookbook
Makes 4 – 4” sandwiches
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 cup tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 T olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 T chopped fresh thyme
- Two 8” sub rolls
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Slice all vegetables very thinly crosswise with a knife or mandoline.
- Spread the tomato puree or sauce in a 2 qt baking dish; then stir in the onion slices, minced garlic, 1T of olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes. Arrange the slices of eggplant, zucchini, summer squash and bell pepper so that they are overlapping in a fan shape around the dish. Drizzle the last 1T of olive oil over the top and sprinkle with thyme. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, increase the oven temperature to 425°F and bake the vegetables for an additional 15 minutes uncovered.
- Assemble the ratatouille onto split sub rolls and top with the tomato sauce from the bottom of the pan.