Inspired by myrecipes.com
- 2 T butter
- 5 lb (~5 cups) butternut squash (or other winter squash), peeled and cubed
- 2c potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 c half and half
- 12 oz baguette, cut into 16 slices
- 3 ounces shredded Swiss cheese (or Gruyere)
- 3 T chives, chopped (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the squash, potatoes, salt and pepper to the pan and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the leeks and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place half of the potato mixture into a blender. Remove the center piece of the blender lid (to allow steam to escape) and secure the blender lid on the blender. Place a clean towel over the opening in the blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat the procedure with the remaining potato mixture. Stir in the half-and-half. Cover and keep warm.
- Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil the bread slices for 2 minutes or until golden. Ladle 1 cup of soup into each of the 8 bowls and top each serving with about 1 teaspoon of chives. Serve 2 bread slices with each serving.