Recipe found on ilovevegan.com
Yields 4 latkes
- 2 cups potato, packed, grated and drained
- ⅓ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. sliced green onion or scallions
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying (canola, olive or coconut all work well)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh, chopped dill (optional)
- ¼ cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
Grate potatoes and squeeze out as much moisture as you can using paper towel.
Combine 2 cups of the grated potato, the flour, the green onion/scallions, nondairy milk, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and black pepper (optional: add the dill and vegan cheese). Mix well to develop the gluten in the flour, which helps with binding.
In a frying pan, preheat a generous amount of vegetable oil over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the potato mixture into the pan. Use a spatula or pancake flipper to flatten the patty to about ¼” thick. Fry until golden brown, flip and fry the other side.
Drain excess oil on paper towel if necessary. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!