Recipe found on simple-veganista.com
Yields 4-6 servings
- ¼ cup water or 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 medium potato or 6 baby (about 1 cup), diced
- 1 ½ cups green beans, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 head of green cabbage (about 8 – 10 cups), cored and chopped
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To serve (optional)
- chopped parsley
- lemon wedges
- crusty bread
In a large 5 quart Dutch oven or pot, heat water/olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onions and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the herbs and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage and liquids, cover, and bring to a boil. Remove the lid, the cabbage should be starting to shrink enough that you can give a good stir. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add more water if needed, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into soup bowls and top with chopped parsley.