Recipe found on butteredveg.com
Makes 4 servings
- 2 large potatoes, chopped and parboiled
- 2 carrots, chopped and parboiled
- 1 Tbsp natural coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch red chili powder (or substitute with cayenne pepper)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt, or to taste
- 1/2 can black beans, drained
- 4 cups kale, (or substitute with collard greens, Swiss chard or spinach)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tomato, chopped (for garnish)
- 1/2 fresh lime, juiced (for garnish)
Bring a pot of water to boil and add a tablespoon of natural coarse salt. Add chopped potatoes and carrots and boil until just cooked (about 12 minutes). Strain, and set aside until needed.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until starting to lightly brown. Add onions, red bell pepper, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and a pinch of salt, and continue to sauté until starting to soften (about 5 minutes).
Add parboiled potatoes and carrots, another pinch of salt, and a splash more oil if you like. Spread the vegetables out evenly on the bottom of the skillet and cook until they start to brown. Then toss. Spread evenly again, and caramelize again. Continue to sauté until the potatoes are nicely caramelized. Turn up the heat if the process is taking too long.
Add black beans, and washed and chopped greens, and stir well. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and continue to cook until the greens are wilted and cooked.
Taste and adjust the seasonings to your taste. Add fresh tomato and a splash of fresh lime and give the skillet a final toss to boost the flavors. Enjoy this with ketchup or salsa on the side.