Recipe sourced from polishhousewife.com
In case you’re wondering, it’s pronounced bee-gos.
- 1/2 lb pork, diced
- 1/2 lb beef, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1 lb slab bacon, diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 container mushrooms, sliced
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, quartered
- 2 lbs canned diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon caraway seeds
- 12 peppercorns
- 1 lb Polish sausage, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 lb ham, diced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
Season the pork and beef with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to a large dutch oven, and saute the meat and onions in batches, cooking until the meat is browned and the onions begin to caramelize.
Brown the bacon. Combine all the ingredients, and simmer at least two hours, or overnight.
Serve as is, over noodles, or with buckwheat.