Recipe sourced from thegreekvegan.com
- 1 cup good quality olive oil
- 3-4 cups of cauliflower florets (approx 1 lb of florets or 1 3lb head of cauliflower)
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste (author recommends the Kyknos brand)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
In 3 quart saucepan with lid, heat olive oil on low. Add cauliflower florets, head down, to the pan and cook approximately 5-6 minutes until lightly browned.
Add chopped red onion and stir gently. Cook 5 minutes until onions are almost translucent and add water with dissolved tomato paste, salt/pepper, bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Bring up to a low boil.
Cover and cook for 15 minutes then uncover, stir gently, add chopped mint, re-cover and cook for additional 10 minutes. Test for doneness – cauliflower should now be fork tender, and cook for 10 more minutes uncovered to boil off a bit of the liquid.
Allow dish to rest, off the heat, for about 10 minutes and serve.