Recipe by Kenden Alfond, sourced from chabad.org
Vegan, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (or water)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: fresh parsley
- Serve with: 6 stalks celery, cut into sticks, and matzo crackers
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable broth (or water) over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sprinkle with a few pinches of the sea salt. Sauté for 10 minutes, adding a touch more vegetable broth (or water) if the onion begins to stick to the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and another few pinches of sea salt . Add a little bit more vegetable broth if needed. Cook and stir for 5 more minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened.
- Place the cooked vegetables, remaining sea salt, walnuts, balsamic vinegar and black pepper in a food processor. Blend until well-blended but not completely smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Place in a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with celery sticks and matzo crackers.