Recipe found on emilieeats.com
Makes 8 servings
For the patties:
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal (ground flax seed)
- 1/2 cup dry wild rice
- High-heat oil for cooking (I use avocado oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can (1 ½ cups) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup oat flour
For the burgers:
- 8 whole-wheat hamburger buns (or gluten-free, if necessary)
- Romaine lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Add the flax meal and 5 tablespoons of water in a small bowl; stir. Set aside in the fridge.
- To a medium saucepan, add the wild rice and 2 cups of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover; cook for 40-45 minutes, until rice is tender and has soaked up all the water.
- While the rice is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion; cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapeño; cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Add the mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook for 1 minute, making sure not to burn the garlic. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add the black beans; mash with a potato masher or fork, leaving some texture. Add the cooked rice, sautéed vegetables, soy sauce, liquid smoke, paprika, cumin, pepper and the reserved flax meal mixture. Stir until combined. Add the oat flour; mix until ingredients are evenly combined.
- Using a ½-cup scoop, form each patty (you should have 8 patties). Place on a baking sheet and slightly flatten. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- To a skillet over medium heat, add a little oil. When hot, add the patties. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until crispy; flip and cook for 8-10 minutes on the other side. Repeat for all the patties.
- Serve each patty on a bun with romaine, tomato slices, avocado slices, ketchup and other desired toppings.
To make your own own oat flour, simply blend rolled oats into a fine flour using a high-speed blender or food processor.