Recipe sourced from gourmettraveller.com.au (courtesy of Saba’s Ethiopian Restaurant)
Makes 4 – 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil, such as sunflower
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 carrots, coarsely diced
- 2 cups (firmly packed) shredded green cabbage, plus extra to serve
- 2 lb potatoes, cut into 1.5″ pieces
- 2 long green chillies, sliced, plus extra to serve
Heat oil in a casserole or heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, then add the onion and stir occasionally until onion starts to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Add turmeric and stir, then add just enough water to stop the turmeric burning (about 1 Tbsp), so mixture looks like a thick paste.
Add the carrots and stir until they are al dente (2-3 minutes), adding 1 Tbsp of extra water at a time if needed. Add the shredded cabbage, potatoes and chilli, season with salt, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until potato is tender but not broken down, approx. 40-45 minutes. Don’t overcook the potatoes or you’ll end up with mash). Scatter over extra shredded cabbage and sliced chillies to serve.