Recipe adapted from veganonboard.com
Makes 4 servings
- 1 onion
- ½ butternut squash
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp za’atar spice mix (sold at Trader Joe’s)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup (200 g) risotto rice
- 1 cup (200 g) green lentils, soaked
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp stock powder or bouillon
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 4 cups (950 ml) water
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
Vegan sunflower seed “Parmesan”
Pumpkin seed oil
- Soak the lentils in water overnight, or quick soak for 30 mins in boiling water. Dice the onion. Cut the butternut squash up into 1″ cubes.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and fry until translucent. Then add the butternut squash and continue to fry for a few minutes. Add za’atar, garam masala and smoked paprika. Stir and continue to fry for another minute.
- Add the risotto rice and stir. Add the lemon juice and soy sauce. Give it a good stir around to get all that spicy goodness off the base of the pan. Add the drained and rinsed green lentils, the garlic powder, stock powder and water. Stir all together.
- Put the lid on, bring to a simmer and cook gently for 20-25 minutes. You will know it’s ready when most of the liquid will have been absorbed and the lentils will be tender with a bit of bite to them. Finally, stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Serve with your choice of vegan “Parmesan”, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed oil or just some more nutritional yeast on top!