Recipe found on marthastewart.com. Reprinted from “Martha Stewart’s Slow Cooker: 110 Recipes for Flavorful, Foolproof Dishes (Including Desserts!), Plus Test-Kitchen Tips and Strategies from the Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living.”
Yields 4 – 6 servings
- 1/2 cup salted shelled roasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Pecorino Romano
- 4 small carrots, peeled, ends left intact
- 4 small parsnips, peeled
- 2 beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 8 cipollini onions
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into wedges, core intact
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 3 dried red chiles
- 4 to 5 cups extra-virgin olive or canola oil
- Pistachio Pesto: In a mini food processor, pulse pistachios, parsley and garlic with oil until finely chopped. Add vinegar and cheese; pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl. Pesto can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days. Makes about 1/2 cup.
- Root-Vegetable Confit: Preheat a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Combine carrots, parsnips, beets, onions, fennel, bay leaves, coriander seeds, chiles and oil in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until tender, about 2 1/2 hours (or on low 5 hours).
- Let cool in oil for 30 minutes; then, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet to drain. Serve, with pesto alongside.
To brown the vegetables after poaching, heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle over high. Add vegetables and cook, tossing, until golden, about 5 minutes.