Recipe sourced from thissavoryvegan.com
Yields 8 cups
1 Tablespoon olive oil
8 oz vegan sausage
3 Tablespoon vegan butter
3 Tablespoon flour
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 jalapeño, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt & pepper to taste
3 cups water
1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
1 Tablespoon vegan chicken bouillon
2 Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
8 oz beer**
8 oz vegan cream cheese
Green onions for topping
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add vegan sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook until browned. Remove sausage from the pot and set aside.
- Add butter to the pan. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, jalapeño and garlic to the pot and continue to cook until onions start to soften (approx. 3-5 minutes).
- Add oregano, paprika and a pinch of salt & pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Slowly add water, milk and bouillon to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes to the pot and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beer and cream cheese to the pot and whisk until smooth. Continue to simmer until potatoes are soft (approx. 5-10 more minutes). Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the soup to cool for 5-10 minutes.***
- Serve soup with green onions and crusty bread.
**Use an IPA or Pale Ale to get the best flavor. If you don’t want to use beer, you can substitute it for additional broth.
***After the soup starts to cool it will continue to thicken. You can either leave it on the thicker side or add an additional cup of vegan chicken broth or water to thin it out slightly.