One unique aspect of signing up for a CSA share at Stearns is the opportunity to complete work hours at the farm. It is a great way to learn something new, get to know the farmers who grow your vegetables, and assist the farm in offering additional labor.
*The information below applies to both Summer Sharers and Back-to-School Sharers*
When can I come in to work?
The best days and times for the farm are the following: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays or Saturdays from 10AM – 12PM.
When can I sign up?
Now! Work hours have begun at the farm.
How do I sign up?
Please email Ember at email@example.com to let her know when you plan to come in. Please arrive shortly before 10am so we can head to the fields for instructions exactly at 10AM. It takes time out of our productive days to meet with anyone who shows up late.
When do I need to complete my hours by?
You have from now until October 1st. At that point, you will be charged for any outstanding hours not worked.
How many hours do I need to complete?
The total amount of hours depends on which share you signed up for. The numbers below reflect what each share type is required to work during the course of the entire season.
- Summer Classic – 6 hours
- Summer Farmer’s Choice – 4 hours
- Back-to-School Classic – 3 hours
- Back-to-School Farmer’s Choice – 2 hours
What can I expect?
You will most likely be weeding, planting, or harvesting during work hours. You will be on your feet as well as kneeling on the ground for most of your shift. Please dress accordingly and be sure to bring sunscreen and water. Work gloves aren’t required but are up to the individual.
Can I bring my child with me?
Children age 10 and older may join you at the farmer’s discretion. However, we urge you to think carefully and honestly about your child’s true ability to complete field work. Any distractions could impact the productivity of the parent and the entire group.
What if I have physical limitations or I can’t find the time in my schedule?
There are several options if you are unable to complete your hours due to physical limitations or scheduling conflicts:
- Pay out your hours. You are able to pay for your work hours in our online store for $11/hour.
- Have a friend or family member work them for you. You can absolutely have other people come to work your hours for you. Just make sure they inform the farm manager who they are working them for so we record it properly.
- Make plans for an alternative activity. There are plenty of tasks on the farm for all kinds of abilities! If you are still interested in completing your hours but have some concerns about any limitations, email Ember and she’d be happy to work something out with you.
If you are unsure whether or not you need to do work hours, please read the confirmation email you received when you signed up for your share or email firstname.lastname@example.org