Recipe sourced from feastingathome.com
Yields 1 cup
- 1 cup sliced shallots (about 2-3 shallots)
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 2 teaspoon colored or black peppercorns
- 4–6 bay leaves (fresh ones look pretty)
- Optional: Fresh cilantro, dill, tarragon, oregano, thyme, etc. (*add after shallot cool)
- Optional: Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, caraway, nigella, red pepper flakes (*add after shallot cool)
Place sliced shallots, vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a small pot and bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Stir in peppercorns and bay leaves. Turn heat off.
Let cool, then chill in a sealed jar in the fridge.