Stearns Farm CSA is hiring an Assistant Manager for the 2024 season
About the Farm: Stearns Farm is a CSA only farm now in its 33rd season. It is located on 2 acres of tillable land for vegetable production, as well as perennial berries, a flower garden, a children’s garden and culinary and herbal tea gardens. Stearns Farm has created an environment that encourages the community to actively participate in some aspects of the farming process. The farm also ensures that it gives back to its community by donating extra produce, offering subsidized shares, and it just recently became a part of the Healthy Incentive Program (HIP) through the state.
Position: Assistant Manager – We are seeking an Assistant Manager to help with all aspects of farm operations. The Assistant Manager will assist with greenhouse seedings and transplanting for the fields and for our annual seedling sale in May. They will play a key role in preparing the fields, planting, harvesting, weeding, post-harvest wash up, and maintaining healthy crops throughout the season. There will be some opportunities to lead small groups of volunteers and our crew of work-for-shares and to assist during CSA distribution.
Location: 862 Edmands Road, Framingham, MA
Dates: March 4th – November 15th
● Mon 7-4, Tues 7-4, Wed 7-4, Thurs, 7-4, Fri 7-6 (the later end time on Fridays will be during the 20 weeks of our CSA)
● There are a few mandatory weekend activities including an Earth Day festival in April, our seedling sale in May and our garlic planting in October
Hours will vary at the beginning and end of the season. All employees get a 1 hour lunch. During the main season, the assistant manager will have the opportunity to attend EMass CRAFT meetings and workshops on Wednesdays for any topic that interests them. Type: Temporary, Seasonal, Full-Time position, averaging 43 hours per week
● A negotiable wage dependent on experience (starts at $780 per week)
● Workers’ compensation
● Paid sick days and family medical leave
● 5 paid days off per season
● A Full Season Classic CSA Share ($939 value) from the farm
● $150 Educational Stipend
● $400 Wellness Stipend (for bodywork that maintains a healthy and happy body during the season)
● Must have at least 2 seasons of experience
● Must have a strong work ethic, attentive to details, be able to communicate clearly, work in all kinds of extreme weather conditions, follow directions and work well with others in a team, self-motivated when working alone, and must be punctual.
● Tractor experience is welcomed, but not necessary
● A valid driver’s license
● The ability to lift 50 pounds
To apply, please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ember Fleming, Current Farm Manager